Wednesday 11 September 2013

Day 3: Royal Parks Half

What better way to spend a soggy Wednesday evening than out running the mean streets of London? This was my first half marathon in the capital which meant I had to deal with busy congested streets (the worst was trying to run up The Strand against a sea of peak time workers trying to get home. However with the negatives there were also positives, I got to run around the delightful scenery of Hyde Park, Green Park and St James' Park and run along the river Thames.

I got off to a relatively slow paced start running around Hyde Park but as soon as I hit The Mall things started to pick up. Having a route filled with landmarks helped me set myself timed targets passing Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, the London Eye and Temple Walkabout!


Running back towards Hyde Park was a bit of a chore as it was slightly uphill but thanks to some lovely scenic Royal Park views I made it and in a second PB in 2 days timing 1hr 42 mins and 16 secs. A 36 second improvement on yesterday but every second counts. I dug deep in the last mile so I am not sure I am going to be able to top this time... roll on Richmond Half tomorrow to find out.
I am doing these runs and a London to Paris Cycle ride next month  to raise much needed money for Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research and the vitally important work they do towards beating all blood cancers. If you can spare a few pounds, I would greatly appreciate it. Please donate here: www.virginmoneygiving.com/team/BromleyandClarke

No comments:

Post a Comment