Tuesday 10 September 2013

Day 2: Run to the Beat Greenwich

I was looking forward to Day 2 as I was following in the footsteps of those who ran Run to the Beat in Greenwich last Sunday and listening to top notch tunes while running around the landmarks of South East London. Although I didn't manage to get my hand on a pair of Dr Dre Beats headphones, I did manage to compile a playlist full of tunes to see me through the run - probably my favourite was Boyzone - Picture of You - what a classic.

The run went a lot better than yesterday as my map didn't lie, there was less traffic lights and was quite simple to follow. I ran round Greenwich Park and then further east and down to the docks before heading back along the waterfront towards the millenium dome....
After touching the millenium dome I headed on the straight for home but there was one final obstacle... the hill in Greenwich Park. Up until the 11th mile I was going smooth and was not suffering from yesterday's run but a ridiculously steep hill, followed by a good view on a bad weather day and I was beat with only a mile to go. I slowed my pace to ensure I got to the finish line with some puff left. 



Finished the run today in 1hr 42 mins and 52 seconds which is my quickest ever half marathon time so am pretty chuffed, considering I have run Silverstone, Hastings, Milton Keynes, Bath and East London. You shouldn't read too much in to the >5 min improvement on yesterdays time because I knew where I was going and I stopped my watch while waiting on traffic lights. And you certainly shouldn't be expecting any times near 1hr 30 mins (Ollie Houston - stop setting me ridiculous targets!) but today was pleasing on the eye so the Royal Parks Half Marathon tomorrow better watch out!

No comments:

Post a Comment